This is the kind of simple yet unimaginable cookie recipe that everyone needs in their arsenal! It’s a bit trickier than your average side of the box instructions but it’s worth it!
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 14 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
1. Heat 10 tbsp (142 grams) of unsalted butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Do not use a non-stick pan as you need to see the colour change of the butter. Cook until brown bits on bottom of pan and the butter starts to smell nutty. Approx. 5 to 7 minutes. It is important to use unsalted butter as salted butter will foam and it is hard to see the browning.
2. Remove from heat and pour into mixing bowl with remaining butter (4 tbsp = 56.8 grams). Let the remaining butter melt.
3. Add both sugars, salt and vanilla and mix with hand mixer until incorporated – approx. 30 seconds.
4. Add egg and yolk. Mix 30 seconds. Let stand 3 minutes. Mix again for 30 seconds. Let stand 3 minutes. Repeat 2 more times. This timing is important!
5. Wisk flour and baking soda. Pour into butter mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
6. Add chips.
7. Form ball with about 1 tbsp or so of dough. Bake at 375 F for about 10 to 12 minutes. You will know when done when they are just brown on the edges.