The benefits of dry brushing
As we all know the skin is our largest organ, but did you also know that a third of the body’s toxins are released through your skin! Dry brushing has numerous health benefits not only for your skin but for your body as well. By doing a dry brush daily you aid not only with detoxification of your body but by increasing circulation you can help eliminate cellulite. You shed dead skin cells, aid in regenerating new ones, and open clogged pores. Dry brushing also helps in the absorption of vitamins and minerals by increasing blood flow. We like dry brushing as opposed to using a loofa as it is less harsh on your skin and you get the same results. To sum up some of the benefits:
- Stimulates the lymphatic system (which helps the body get rid of toxins)
- Exfoliates dry rough skin→ leaving it smooth, ingrown free, and ready for moisturizer
- Removes dead skin cells and helps stimulate growth of new ones
- Improves blood circulation
- Reduces the appearance of stretch marks and tightens and tones skin
What kind of brush do you use for dry brushing?
You use a wooden brush which is two sided. One side has bristles that are slightly stiff to aid in the removal of dead skin cells and the other has wooden nubs to stimulate blood flow. They are very affordable and usually come in two sizes. One for home and one for travel. We recommend natural bristles and a long handle (for hard to reach areas like your back). You can get one on Amazon for under 20 dollars. Here's one we like!
Here’s how you dry brush.
The whole process should take no more than two minutes.
- Start at your ankles and brush upward towards your heart. (You never brush downward. By brushing upwards you are mimicking the flow of blood to your heart, and the way your lymphatic system flows)
- Work in circular motions, small at first and then longer and smoother strokes.
- For your back you brush downward from your neck to the middle of your back
- When it comes to your stomach brush in circular movements and be careful around the chest and breast area.
- You might notice a bit of redness. This is perfectly normal and will subside.
- Take a warm bath or shower to wash away the dead cells and impurities.
- Apply cream to your body. You will notice that the cream will absorb faster and your skin will feel amazingly smooth!
Do this for 30 days and let us know if you see and feel the difference.