Prepare your healthy travel snack ahead of time and avoid having to eat the unhealthy snacks provided on most flights these days. If you read the back of most snacks served onboard these days it's pretty disgusting. The worst part is, they are usually marketed as 'healthy'. See below for the most recent ones we were served (but did NOT eat). Fear not because these three filling, healthy, and TSA approved snacks are the perfect solution. Just put them in your carry on and voila!
Nut and Sesame Brittle
This brittle is a cross between a traditional peanut brittle and sesame crisps. The salted nuts (you can substitute any nut you like – let your imagination run wild!) are a great counter balance to the sweetness of the corn syrup. We suggest you use a candy thermometer for best results
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cups white corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 2 ½ cups of mixed nuts such as cashews, pecans, peanuts, or macademia nuts
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ teaspoons baking soda
- In a large saucepan, bring the sugar, corn syrup and ¾ cup of water to boil over medium heat stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved. Boil, without stirring (brush down the sides with a pastry brush dipped in cold water to prevent sugar from seizing) until the candy thermometer reaches a temperature of 235 degrees.
- Stir in butter and salt and continue boiling until temperature reaches 300 degrees (around ten minutes).
- Remove from heat and immediately stir in nuts, sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds, vanilla and baking soda.
- Pour onto a parchment lines baking sheet and spread out to a thin layer with a greased offset spatula.
- Cool completely and break into desired pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.
Coconut Brittle – Microwave – Easy peasy
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 4 ounces slivered almonds
- 4 ounces white sesame seeds
- 4 ounces black sesame seeds
- 4 ounces chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Spread coconut evenly over a buttered baking sheet.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine sugar and corn syrup. Microwave on high 3 minutes. Stir in nuts and microwave 4 minutes more. Stir in butter and vanilla and return to microwave for 1 minute. Stir in soda and seeds until light and slightly foamy. Pour over coconut in pan. Let cool until firm, 1 hour. Break into pieces
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week
Note: These are the ingredients that we chose but you can use anything you like.
- 6 ounces of dark chocolate covered blueberries
- 6 ounces of dark chocolate covered cranberries
- 6 ounces of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 6 ounces of cashews
- 6 ounces of peanuts
Toss all the ingredients in bowl and store in an airtight container.